Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Things Liberals Hate


I don't like labels, and I don't join groups.  

I am not a Democrat, for example, even though for the past several elections I have voted mostly for Democratic candidates.  I am not a feminist, even though I recently donated money to Planned Parenthood.  I am not an atheist or an agnostic, even though I am not a member of any other organized religious group.  

And, honestly, I don't consider myself  "A Liberal", either, though after reading the preceding paragraph, I suppose most people would. 


I am a contributing member of a few select not-for-profit groups such as the botanic garden and an independent film house -- and I do have a AAA membership -- but by and large, the only labels I will embrace are inherent:  mother, daughter, sister, wife, American, etc.

What does this personal reflection have to do with the above Internet meme?  Nothing, really, except that I found it on the facebook page of  a group called "Things Liberals Hate", and since I do hate it quite a bit, I feel compelled to consider that I might be (whether I want to admit it or not), after all, "A Liberal".  


Let's see what we find out by deconstructing this meme.

The man pictured is Michael Bloomberg.  (Now there's a man with a LOT of labels!)  Currently he is Mayor of New York City.  

The text at the top of the meme refers to the ban on large size sugary drinks which Mayor Bloomberg has champions and the New York City Board of Health has approved.  This ban goes into effect next month. 


The text at the bottom of the meme refers to a program called CATCH (Connecting Adolescents To Comprehensive Healthcare) which was introduced into a small number of New York City schools last fall. 


At the risk of coming off as both a Liberal and a Feminist,  I will refrain from writing my opinions on the subjects of sugary drinks and contraception as they relate to public health and stick to the facts as they are misstated in this meme. 


The ban on drinks is actually, in a way, more aggressive than this meme suggests.  The measure will limit the sale of individual sized sugary drinks to 16 oz rather than 32 oz. Critics complain that it is not effective because there are so many beverages un-regulated.  Even Bloomberg acknowledges that the measure is primarily symbolic:


“All we’re doing here is educating. It forces you to see the difference.” Limiting the serving size forces people to consider how much they’re ingesting. 


The meme's description of the CATCH program  is wrong on all three counts.  Abortion pills are not being given to 12-year-olds in New York City schools without parental consent.  


First, CATCH is a program offered in a small number of high schools, where there are extremely few, if any at all, 12-year-olds. 


Secondly, the pill being made available by CATCH is Plan B One-Step which the Food and Drug Adminstration defines as:



" . . . effective in decreasing the chance of pregnancy if taken within 3 days after unprotected sexual intercourse.  The product contains higher levels of a hormone found in some types of daily use oral hormonal contraceptive pills and works in a similar way to birth control pills."

RU 486, the so-called 'abortion pill'  is not being offered.  The difference between the two is fairly obvious:  the first prevents pregnancy and the second terminates a pregnancy. 


Finally, parents are given a tool to opt out of having their children receive any or all of the various contraceptive measures available in New York City schools.   There is a simple "opt out" form that if returned by the parent or guardian of children under 18 would prevent the school nurse from distributing contraceptive measures to a particular child. 


This group, Things Liberals Hate, doesn't seem to be New-York-City-centric, so why focus attention on the Mayor?  

I  surmise that the group would like to discredit Michael Bloomberg because he founded the nation-wide coalition Mayors Against Illegal Guns and his Super PAC openly opposes legislators who support the NRA's anti gun control measures.

After several hours spent reading and reflecting, I have determined that the reason I hate this meme is not that I am a Liberal. (Another label avoided, thank goodness.)

I hate it because it is provocative, misleading, manipulative and inaccurate. Like all such pieces of propaganda, it insults the intelligence of its audience by assuming that those targeted will be too lazy to check things out for themselves.

Disagreeing with Bloomberg's public health policies is one thing;  agreeing to have the wool pulled over our eyes is something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment